DIY: Buttonholes and Flower Crowns

May 8, 2015

This is attempt number two - I have got myself some green stretchy florist's tape, and I'm ready to go!

On our way back from the woods on Monday, as well as the Euphorbia and Bugleweed (Ajuga) that we'd picked, we popped into Morrisons, and they had a couple of bunches of mixed flowers on sale at 89 pence.

My aim - to make a flower crown that will hold, without wilting, and to attempt a buttonhole or Boutonnière, using succulents.

I gave all the plants a good drink overnight, standing them in jars of water. 

The succulents have been growing in a wooden box (and also moroccan tea glasses) in our living room, they multiply quite quickly, and are easy to care for, I have around 20 in total! I took some from Mum's garden and they've come along really well indoors.

I pulled one bloom out keeping the roots on, then using a bit of wire, I bent the wire into a U shape and stuck it in the succulents bottom.

Next I wrapped the wire tightly in florists tape, giving the succulent a stem. I then chose three other flowers: A carnation; bugleweed and some yellow foliage and wrapped their stems tightly with florists tape. I then bound them together with hesian (burlap) and string.

I popped them in the fridge overnight, and, apart from the bugleweed which was looking a bit droopy, the rest still looked fresh!

I will make a couple for the day, I haven't got the resources to make one for every guest, but I'll probably use a succulent, lavender and a thistle instead.

 

 

Next the flower crown. Again, on the morning of our wedding, I'll be using whatever flowers are in season. This time, I used a few that I'd picked, and some carnations.

I used the same galvanised wire as in my previous post, but this time wrapped the wire first with florists tape.

I also wrapped all the flower stems with the tape, to hold in moisture, and any flowers with heavy heads were stregthened with wire down their stems. I then used the same process as before.

Foilage went on first, Each piece was secured in place with green plant wire. Then any large flowers, and lastly the smaller flowers.

I tied a lace ribbon at the back, and again put it in the fridge to see how it lasted. I think this will be the plan on the day, as it worked really well, and I can't wait to put one togther again. Carnations work really well (and they're cheap) and I love the little forget-me-nots too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Hello, I'm Sarah. Part of a family of 5 who can often be found foraging in the woods or camping at a festival. I love anything boho and am rarely without my camera.

53262088_10156736962831335_3631095906159
                  Recent Posts

November 10, 2019

Please reload

© 2023 by Parenting Blog

Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Google+ Black Round
  • Facebook Black Round
  • Twitter Black Round

500 Terry Francois St. San Francisco, CA 94158

info@mysite.com

Tel: 123-456-7890

Fax: 123-456-7890