With all this extra time indoors I have finally been going through our cupboards and after the success of last week's spiced pear muffins - we tried out a similar recipe using up some of our apples and carrots and a little secret ingredient - chai latte.
Basically, I have run out of cinnamon and I haven't ventured to a supermarket since the partial lockdown was imposed. Cinnamon doesn't really seem like an essential item! But, a few weeks ago, I bought a tub of chai latte powder for my daughter to try. It acted as a good substitute for the spices.
You will need:
250g plain flour
80g sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
3 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of chai latte
A dash of vanilla extract
150 ml of milk
90 ml of vegetable oil
2 small apples and a carrot (peeled and grated)
A baking tray
12 muffin cases
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and put your muffin cases in a baking tray.
2. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and chai latte powder to a bowl and mix together.
3. Beat the egg in a cup.
4. After peeling the apples and carrot, grate them and add the vanilla extract.
5. Add the milk and the oil to the beaten egg and add the grated apple and carrot.
6. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until creamy and gloopy.
7. Spoon the mixture equally between the cases.
8. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden in colour and springy to touch.
One tip we found out is, be careful not to overfill the cases as these cakes did not rise as well as the others.